Dear Tumblr Support:
I have been trying to explain this problem to you since yesterday morning (Ticket #124724).
First I said this:
When I reblog something, I get the HTML interface instead of Markdown. If I save it as a Draft and then edit it again, it comes back at Markdown, but this is hugely annoying.
This just started happening in the past week or so.
It happens on my desktop browser as well as my iPad.
And Tumblr Support wrote me back to say this:
You can configure that option in the preferences for your account.
To access your account preferences, click the gear wheel icon in the top right area of your Dashboard or visit https://tumblr.com/preferences. After you make changes, make sure to click the blue “Save” button.
Wow, that’s some nice boilerplate text you have there, Tumblr. Too bad you didn’t really read what I wrote, which I thought made it clear that Markdown is working except when I reblog something.
So I replied:
Yes, that is set correctly, and hasn’t changed for ages.
If I create a new post it comes up in Markdown.
If I reblog a post, it comes up as HTML.
If I save that reblog, and then edit it again, it comes up as Markdown.
This is a bug on Tumblr’s side, not mine.
To which Tumblr “Support” replied:
Unfortunately, we can’t provide technical support for HTML customizations. Given our large number of users, we just don’t have the resources. Our apologies.
Info on Tumblr’s customizable theme templates is at http://www.tumblr.com/docs/custom_themes.
Seriously? SERIOUSLY? AYFKMWTS?
The first reply was bad enough, but this? This has absolutely nothing to do with what I wrote.
Let me recap the conversation thus far, as well as try to anticipate some of the other nonsense that you might suggest is the problem:
- This is not about me having my preferences set incorrectly.
- This is not about HTML customizations, or themes. At all. Not in the least little bit. This is about reblogging something. In the dashboard. Of your website.
- This started happening very recently. These same steps worked properly as little as a week or two ago.
- This is easily reproducible, 100% of the time. When I reblog something.
- This is not just happening to my account. I also verified it was happening on my wife’s account.
- This is not just happening on one browser. I tested it on Firefox, Safari, and Google Chrome on the Mac, as well as Safari and iCab on the iPad.
In order to more clearly demonstrate what happens versus what I expect to happen, I made this collection of images above, each one annotated to show relevant parts, and have attached them to this post.
(Here’s a tip about these image slideshows: click on the top-left image, and it will get bigger. Then use the left/right arrows to look at each image separately. Press the ESC button when you are done.)
I spent about an hour putting this altogether tonight, I would really appreciate it if someone would take a few minutes to read it, and if you don’t understand the problem I am describing, please pass this on to someone else who might.
It annoys the shit out of me when people don’t listen.
Thank you for your question.
Please check to be sure your computer is plugged in. If it is, then you can most likely solve the problem by re-installing Windows. To learn more about re-installing Windows, please visit http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc751081.aspx
52 Notes/ Hide
- jxpx777 likes this
- swamibooba likes this
- elizabite likes this
- nicky36 likes this
- cssboy likes this
- skurveydawg likes this
- thekeri said: Dios mio.
- thekeri likes this
- sistacrumpet said: DO YOU HAVE A BLOOD PRESSURE MONITOR? IF SO, I WANT YOU TO RECORD YOUR READINGS WHEN YOU POST THINGS LIKE THIS.
- sistacrumpet likes this
- atsween likes this
- justalittletaste likes this
- jebanthony likes this
- bananacasts likes this
- summersumz likes this
- cleapow said: "I see your email has a few key phrases we are used to seeing, instead of reading your email we will instead send a prefab response email. Thank you for being a valued Tumblr user."
- cleapow likes this
- theoriginaljackass likes this
- ungracefulme said: MISSING-E IS THE PROBLEM DUH
- ungracefulme likes this
- cloudya likes this
- notyouraverageharlot likes this
- noelanthony likes this
- dorkitude reblogged this from smartasshat and added:
- dorkitude likes this
- colincurtis likes this
- mikerastiello said: Have you tried unplugging and plugging your router’s power supply?
- potjie likes this
- sblaufuss said: 5th page has a british typo (what what)
- sblaufuss likes this
- steelopus said: "Just avoid holding it that way."
- steelopus likes this
- dresspants likes this
- nicbarajas said: This just sounds like a bad customer support response. Would like to hear the update.
- pinkabrinka likes this
- fuiru likes this
- fictionandneuroscience likes this
- girl-detective likes this
- mikerastiello likes this
- do-over said: Nurd.
- milkglassmao likes this
- zenmasterstation likes this
- smartasshat reblogged this from tj and added:
- davesnothere likes this
- cutlerish said: I’ve mentioned the problem, but I think my email address is filtered at Tumblr.
- cutlerish likes this
- runonsentencesaboutemotions said: I’m getting the same thing. Markdown is my preference for editing and it’s giving the me rich text editor in the same situations.
- 5by5kevin likes this
- eoporto said: neeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrd
- runonsentencesaboutemotions likes this