The spread of the black death.
Poland, tell us your secret.
Poland is the
If I remember correctly, Poland’s secret is that the jews where being blamed all over europe (as usual) as scapegoats for the black plague. Poland was the only place that accepted Jewish refugees, so pretty much all of them moved there.
Now, one of the major causes of getting the plague was poor hygiene. This proved very effective for the plague because everyone threw their poop into the streets because there were no sewers, and literally no one bathed because it was against their religion. Unless they were jewish, who actually bathed relatively often. When all the jews moved to Poland, they brought bathing with them, and so the plague had little effect there.
Milan survived by quarantining its city and burning down the house of anyone showing early symptoms, with the entire family inside it.
I reblogged this tons of times, but the Milan info is new.
Damn Italy, you scary.
Poland:“Hey, feeling a bit down? Have a quick wash! There, you see? All better”
Milan: “Aw, feeling a bit sick are we? BURN MOTHERFUCKER, BURN!!!!!”
Also, this might have something to do with it: from what I understand, O blood type is uncommonly… common in Poland. Something to do with large families in small villages and a LOT of intermarriage. The black plague was caused by a bacterium that produced, in its waste in the human body, wastes that very closely mimic the “B” marker sugars on red blood cells that keep the body from attacking its own immune system. Anyone who has a B blood type had an immune system that was naturally desensitized to the presence of the bacterium, and therefore was more prone to developing the disease. Anyone who had an O type was doubly lucky because the O blood type means the total absence of ANY markers, A or B, meaning that their bodys’ immune system would react quickly and violently against the invaders, while someone with an A may show symptoms and recover more slowly, while someone with B would have just died. Because O is a recessive blood type, it shows in higher numbers when more people who carry the recessive genes marry other people who also carry the recessive gene. Poland, which has a nearly 700 year history of being conquered by or partnering with every other nation in the surrounding area, was primarily an agricultural country, focused around smaller, farming communities where people were legally tied to, and required to work, “their” land, and so historically never “spread” their genes across a large area. The economy was, and had been, unstable for a very long period of time leading up to the plague, the government had been ineffective and had very little reach in comparison to the armies of the other countries around for a very very long time, and so its people largely remained in small communities where multiple generations of cross-familial inbreeding could have allowed for this more recessive gene to show up more frequently. Thus, there could be a higher percentage of O blood types in any region of the country, guaranteeing less spread of the illness and moving slower when it did manage to travel. Combine this with the fact that there were very few large, urban centers where the disease would thrive, and with the above facts, and you’ve got a lovely recipe for avoiding the plague.
Interestingly enough, as a result from the plague, the entirety of Europe now has a higher percentage of people with O blood type than any other region of the world.
WHY IS THIS ALL SO COOL
When Tumblr teaches you more about the plague than 12 years of school ever did.
Just to throw a nod in, as a medieval historian, this is all credible, and is the leading theory as to the plagues effectiveness at this point. So. Enjoy your new knowledge!
Mad happy about my O blood type right now.
This is fantastic. I wish schools taught people this way.
TYP O 4 LYF!
240673 Notes/ Hide
- naosblue reblogged this from unconspicuous
- undergroundllama reblogged this from johndave-dirkjake
- takaramurakami likes this
- takaramurakami reblogged this from magnificentbooty
- magnificentbooty reblogged this from pyramidhead94
- clown-of-rage reblogged this from tipetogi
- superdupermediocre reblogged this from tick-tick-tick-boom
- o0isomorphsim0o reblogged this from hearts-knight
- hearts-knight reblogged this from blueflamingo11
- frombeneaththeashes reblogged this from pwoutagonist
- frombeneaththeashes likes this
- elusivederp reblogged this from rulaxie
- beritichan reblogged this from superwholock-and-key
- artisticdissonance reblogged this from pwoutagonist
- feeqajamal reblogged this from spaghettituesdays
- wreckitrans reblogged this from thestarks-of-winterfell
- hyenaprinceling likes this
- monets likes this
- the-perks-of-being-soulless reblogged this from unconspicuous
- chottomatteorillfuckabitchup reblogged this from pwoutagonist
- sherlockedatheart reblogged this from fangirlingatheart
- sherlockedatheart likes this
- marscelous likes this
- kayktorrison likes this
- fangirlingatheart reblogged this from sockghosts
- fangirlingatheart likes this
- rulaxie reblogged this from pwoutagonist
- rulaxie likes this
- pyramidhead94 reblogged this from karkles-the-adorabloodthirsty
- sockghosts reblogged this from tick-tick-tick-boom
- ohdear-loki likes this
- feriwan reblogged this from kasumychan
- feriwan likes this
- tick-tick-tick-boom reblogged this from tipetogi
- karkles-the-adorabloodthirsty reblogged this from heartbrokenbopper
- hissuka likes this
- graiy likes this
- suzushinas likes this
- bread-rolls reblogged this from pwoutagonist
- ereri-sexual likes this
- k-a-r-n-e-v-a-l reblogged this from pwoutagonist
- king-of-owls reblogged this from pwoutagonist
- aichara reblogged this from pwoutagonist
- alyonkka likes this
- vachekitty likes this
- i-laugh-at-myown-jokes reblogged this from fucklovewewantmoney
- pwoutagonist reblogged this from heartbrokenbopper
- johndave-dirkjake likes this
- johndave-dirkjake reblogged this from popcornrandom12