So someone thought this was real.
This reminds me of a similar experience I had. In 1999, I was excited to use my new computer’s amazing CPU (450 MHz!) to process SETI@Home data in the search for signals from intelligent life in space.
But before I get to the point, a little background: I truly believe life has arisen on other planets, and that some of that life achieved the ability to emit signals that we can receive. The biggest problem is separating a signal from all the noise the Universe produces.
That’s where the distributed computing of SETI@Home comes in. You run a program that downloads and processes chunks of data recorded from the huge parabolic radio telescope in Arecibo, Puerto Rico (which you may have seen in GoldenEye, Contact, or The X-Files). When each chunk of data is done being processed, your computer sends the results back.
Now, one of the coolest things about SETI@Home is that if your computer is the one that finds the first signal from an alien race, you will be named as a contributor to the discovery and be remembered forever as part of this singular, transformational event in the history of all of humanity.
Back in 1999, I was trying to convince a dumb-guy coworker to run SETI@Home on his new computer. When I got to the part about being named in the discovery of intelligent life, he said, “Oh yeah? How many people have done that?”
“How many people have done that?"
Like it happens all the time.
“How many people have done that?”
I’m pretty sure he thinks Star Trek is a documentary.
"HOW MANY PEOPLE HAVE DONE THAT?"
91 Notes/ Hide
- bmacmurphy likes this
- chocohawlic reblogged this from lnthefade
- chocohawlic likes this
- kissmedeadly24 reblogged this from firstofallhowdareyou
- chooming reblogged this from romanticfreestyle
- nowayryantatum likes this
- bageltierpantaloons likes this
- romanticfreestyle reblogged this from firstofallhowdareyou
- firstofallhowdareyou reblogged this from xrosemaidenx
- ferret4ever reblogged this from xrosemaidenx
- ferret4ever likes this
- firstofallhowdareyou likes this
- periwinkle-aardvarks likes this
- xrosemaidenx reblogged this from lnthefade
- wifeoftj likes this
- elizabite likes this
- vermiciousknid likes this
- christian-95 likes this
- cindelicato likes this
- shrinkingmiscjourney likes this
- sonnyjohl likes this
- laissezfaire81 likes this
- thesearedays likes this
- cattyfantastic likes this
- notveryraven likes this
- serpentineandblack likes this
- swamibooba likes this
- jbowesmusic likes this
- steelopus likes this
- lostintheworld0 reblogged this from empireheart
- empireheart reblogged this from linseymayne
- sblaufuss said: I once posted a note on our floor’s shredder that said it was now network-accessible so you can print documents to be shredded directly to it. People thought it was real.
- sblaufuss likes this
- littlesimbaa likes this
- delgrosso likes this
- kalamazu likes this
- brevetcaptain likes this
- chellchellchell likes this
- jezebelthegreat likes this
- do-over likes this
- nicky36 likes this
- rodbegbie likes this
- unepetitesouris likes this
- cleapow likes this
- redcloud likes this
- fancyglasses likes this
- ckharlan66 likes this
- smartasshat reblogged this from lnthefade and added:
- dextercolt likes this
- colincurtis likes this