Q:Speaking?! Let me hear!
Vulcan Council President: You have surpassed the expectations of your instructors. Your final record is flawless, with one exception: I see that you have applied to Starfleet as well.
Spock: It was logical to cultivate multiple options.
Vulcan Council President: Logical, but unnecessary. You are hereby accepted to the Vulcan Science Academy. It is truly remarkable, Spock, that you have achieved so much despite your disadvantage. All rise.
Spock: If you would clarify, Minister: to what disadvantage are you referring?
Vulcan Council President: Your human motherSpock: Council… Ministers, I must decline.
Vulcan Council President: No Vulcan has ever declined admission to this academy!
Spock: Then as I am half-human, your record remains untarnished.
Sarek: Spock, you have made a commitment to honor the Vulcan way.
Vulcan Council President: Why did you come before this council today? Was it to satisfy your emotional need to rebel?
Spock: The only emotion I wish to convey is gratitude. Thank you, Ministers, for your consideration. Live long and prosper.
“It’s unnerving how he can insult you without even saying the words, but you know you’ve been insulted.” — The Boy, on Spock in this scene.
My favorite part of this movie is Spock’s “Dontchu talk ‘bout my Mama!” thread that runs through it, and particularly Zachary Quinto’s fantastic portrayal of it.
With the Jewish Leonard Nimoy in a yarmulke and the Canadian William Shatner in a toque. Poor color saturation or racism, Kelloggs?
Man, I eat me a mess-o-Eggos but I would never eat these. Bag and board them, yes, but never eat.
I ate Uhura.
In which a transporter accident sends Spock back in time to a Jimi Hendrix concert.
- Jimi: Hey, who's the cat with the stick up his ass over there? [walks over to Spock] Here, Man, have a toke off this.
- Spock: I appreciate the offer, however I must decline.
- Jimi: You ain't no narc or nuthin', are you?
- Spock: I do not know of this term "narc," but I am fairly certain I am not one.
- Jimi: Okay, Man. [Takes a big toke off his joint] Hey, Man, your color's a little off. You sick or somethin'?
- Spock: I am not ill. I do appreciate your concern, however.
- Jimi: I dunno. Last time I saw a guy that color, he upchucked in my room. We had to move the party to Noel's room. You sure you're not gonna lose your shit?
- Spock: Lose my shit?
- Jimi: You know, throw up. [Tokes]
- Spock: Ah, interesting colloquialism. No. I am not going to "lose my shit."
- Jimi: Well, you're way too uptight, Man. C'mon, try this. It's good shit. It'll loosen you up.
- Spock: "Good shit"? Is this the "shit" which the individual you referred to previously lost? If so, that is a highly unsanitary practice.
- Jimi: HA! Yeah, you ain't no narc. You're a walkin' dictionary, Man. But you're all right. How'd you like the show?
- Spock: The rhythmic qualities were not unlike the Antarian triticale harvest celebration, with melodies similar to the mating call of the amphibious bean-mole of Rigel IV.
- Jimi: Shit, Man, if you didn't like it just say so.
- Spock: Quite the contrary. In fact, it was highly aesthetically pleasing.
- Jimi: Well thanks, Man. I guess.
- Spock: However, there is one aspect which intrigues me.
- Jimi: What's that, Man? [Tokes]
- Spock: It is illogical to set aflame the instrument on which you make your music.
- Jimi: Aw, Man. It's cool, Man.
- Spock: The flame is not hot? I did not believe that technology existed on Earth until the Sylvia Altman breakthrough of 2042.
- Jimi: No, it's real hot... Wait. Did you say "2042"?
- Spock: Affirmative. I am from the future. The 23rd century, in fact.
- Jimi: Gimme some of that shit you're on, Man.
- Spock: [Raises eyebrow] Fascinating.
Courtesy the critical blog entitled “If Charlie Parker Was a Gunslinger, There’d Be a Whole Lot of Dead Copycats.”
That is all.
Leonard Nimoy & Jimi Hendrix
I am overcome. I might need to lie down.
That would have been my favorite time travel episode.
I imagine the exchange would go something like the Bill Murray bass player and Mr. Rogers conversation.
NASA’s announcement today paves the way for the discovery of new forms of life.